in the news
DSD Acquires 4.3 MW Community Solar Project Near Historic Woodstock Festival Site in Bethel, NY
SCHENECTADY, N.Y. — October 20, 2021 — Distributed Solar Development (DSD) has acquired a 4.3 MW ground-mounted community solar project from BQ Energy in Bethel, New York, near the site of the legendary Woodstock Music and Art Fair. The town that helped launch a shift in generational consciousness some 52 years ago will now be home to a community solar site that will help drive local and statewide sustainability goals.
Part of the project will be built on a closed landfill — turning once-unusable land into a green asset.
“Many Woodstock performers went on to promote and raise the profile of environmental organizations and sustainability issues, leaving a legacy of preservation and action in this area of the Catskills, especially when it comes to local lands and natural resources,” says Bethel Town Supervisor Daniel Sturm. “In partnership with DSD and BQ Energy, we continue this legacy and create new opportunities for our town, residents, and nearby businesses to reap the benefits of cost-efficient solar energy.”
The project supports Bethel’s 2021 Climate Action Plan, a strategic effort that sets goals and outlines a set of initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from its municipal operations, reduce its energy expenditures, and contribute to New York State’s ambitious campaign to mitigate and address the climate crisis.
The system is expected to be operational by late 2022 and will generate up to 5,085,864 kWh of clean, renewable energy per year, avoiding approximately 3,604 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent annually.
“This acquisition adds to our strong track record of community solar success and converting brownfields into clean, renewable energy sources,” says Kevin Hu, Manager of Asset Acquisitions at DSD. “Bringing solar to such an important site and to an area that truly values its environment is a major victory for all involved.”
Part of the project will be built on a closed landfill and another portion will be built on a retired sand mine.
“The Town of Bethel is well known for its gorgeous landscapes and focus on preserving its environmental quality. It has long sought ways to combine this focus with a desire for utilizing renewable resources for its energy needs, says Paul Curran, BQ Energy’s Managing Director. “Bethel’s initiative to use the old landfill and sand mine property was a wise choice. BQ Energy’s expertise in siting solar on landfills and brownfields was ideal for this project. Our team really enjoyed working in our Hudson Valley home region for this important effort.”
The project will be made up of 40% anchor customers, with the remaining 60% made up of residential and small commercial customers. DSD will provide financing and oversee construction of the project, while also serving as the end-owner.
About DSD Renewables
DSD Renewables (DSD) is transforming the way organizations harness clean energy while building a more sustainable future. With unparalleled capabilities including development, structured financing, project acquisition and long-term asset ownership, DSD accelerates the deployment of renewable energy resources and creates significant value for our commercial, industrial, and municipal customers and partners. Backed by world-leading financial partners like BlackRock Real Assets and rooted in our founding at GE, our team brings a distinct combination of ingenuity, rigor, and accountability to every project we manage, acquire, own, and maintain. To learn more, visit DSDRenewables.com and connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
About BQ Energy
BQ Energy Development is a Hudson Valley based developer of renewable energy projects with an exclusive focus on landfill and brownfield sites. Our project portfolio includes both Distributed Generation and Utility-Scale projects. We are arguably the most experienced and successful landfill solar developer in the US. This year, we have added 175 MW of new projects to our development portfolio. We take pride in our ability to transform unusable land into operating solar projects that benefit local communities.
DSD has completed construction on a 4.3- megawatt (MW) community solar installation for the Town of Bethel, New York, near the location of the historic Woodstock Music and Arts Fair.
DSD has acquired a nine-project, 15-megawatt (MW) community solar portfolio from New Energy Equity, which is estimated to deliver power to approximately 900 subscribers in Minnesota.
When it comes to building a business, your parking lot may be the least inspiring aspect or rank lowest on your priority list. But did you know it has the potential to generate clean energy for your operations with a solar canopy (also known as a solar carport canopy) that’s capable of offsetting up to 100% of your energy use?